Friday, August 03, 2012

Giving Back For A Better Tomorrow...

By Frank

I work in the retail line and most of you know I'm a survivor from a cancer known as Rhabdomyosarcoma that affected my left wrist. Although there is a cure for it, there are still many other types of cancer out there that cure is still yet to be found. Even though if there is a cure, there is always a chance to actually improve the procedure or treatment method so there will be less suffering or pain involved.

My first ever fund raising cause which is a joint effort between myself and CARIF (Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation) under The Ultimate Race for Cancer Research, was a successful one and we managed to actually raise about RM14,000 with almost no marketing involved and also minimal expenses. This is something which we all are proud of and we thank everyone who has played a part in this.

However, though the joint project is a successful one, the road is still a long and bumpy one ahead. Research for a cancer cure will take up to years and money is always the problem. Being a non-profit organisation, it is tough for CARIF to actually fund their daily research work and therefore has been seeking donations from various sources.

The past few days ago, I've informed CARIF that I will be one of their regular donors, donating part of my monthly salary to them each month. It may not be a huge amount, but till the day I can't even feed myself any more, I do hope my this amount will be able to play a part in seeking a cure. Like running, a single step brings you closer to the finish line, and in this case, I do hope it will be the same too in the research field. Like Tun Dr. Mahathir mentioned during CARIF's 10th Anniversary Dinner, even if you do not have RM1million, RM999,999.00 will also do. We all broke in laughter at that time, but what he actually meant was, just try to do what we all can.

Tun Dr. Mahathir also mentioned that it is always scary to try new things as most of the time, it ends up as a failure. But if we do not try, we forever will not know. Throughout our lives, there will always be risk. It is how we manage them and if we do it properly, the light at the end of the tunnel will definitely shine brighter.



I am doing my part and I do hope with this entry, I am able to touch my readers to actually do theirs too. It may even be just be RM1.00, but it is sincerity that I will appreciate most. If you will like to donate any single sum, you may contact me or even just contact CARIF directly. I've included a donation form here which you can actually refer to should you be interested to be a donor.

No comments: