Saturday, March 24, 2012

Slicing Through 715KM...

By Frank

After slightly more than a year and running distance at about 715KM, my first pair of K-Swiss Blade-Light Run has finally settled into retirement after this morning's 21KM run. When it was first released in late year 2010, it was a revolutionary performance running shoe that some will find it odd looking. But don't judge it by its look as upon putting it on, one will know of its benefits. Read about it in my review here.

The K-Swiss Blade-Light Run which I received last February 2011 courtesy of K-Swiss and Outdoor Venture Pte Ltd has been my high mileage work horse since then, accompanying me for one marathon, one 50KM ultra marathon and numerous running distance for my long runs as I trained for Sundown Ultra Marathon last year. Going through thick and thin, mud and rain, sweat and soreness, I guess it's about time it gave way. The EVA is starting to "harden" and the comfort level is definitely dropping with the air pockets in the EVA slowly vanishing into thin air.


715KM and 0KM outsole...

Comparison of the forefoot outsole area between old and new...

When I first received the shoe, I didn't had much confident that it will hold up judging on how the outsole looks like. It actually looks fragile with the lack of carbon rubber but with 715KM worth of running distance proven on the road, it certainly is a proven performance model that weight just at about 252 grams for a men size US9.0. And judging from the current state of the outsole, I must say that it actually held up pretty well. Looking at it closely, the tread designs are basically still there and although some of the "blades" are showing signs of shredding off, honestly speaking, it isn't really that bad considering what it has gone through. And evidence of me striking mid to forefoot is there if you pay attention to the amount of carbon rubber that is still present on the outsole at the heel area.


The predecessor meets the successor...

My very first pair of K-Swiss Blade-Light Run deserve a retirement break now and I will use it for my day to day walking shoe. A newer colour of the same make has just been sent to me courtesy of K-Swiss and Outdoor Venture Pte Ltd for my Comrades Marathon 2012 training and I'm sure it will continue off the legacy of the first pair. Let's hope it will slice through the 715KM!

1 comment:

Nick Arthur said...

With the amount of Ultra's that you do, I'm sure it'll surpass the 715K mark easily!