Thursday, October 16, 2008

He's Big But Yet He Is Fast...

By Frank

Running is regarded as one of the beneficial exercises around. But not only that, as running brings people together. I certainly agree to this statement. Do you? Ever since I started running back in March 2007, I’ve made many new friends, thus giving me the inspiration to name this running group as Runnerz Circle.

I’m here to introduce a friend of mine whom I met via the Runnerz Circle forum back in June 2008. His name is Chee Kong, a Kedahan from Sungai Petani but yet working over at Miri. It’s through the interest of running that brought him into the “family” and all of us were simply blown away by him. However, when I asked him to write me a short biography about himself, he was too lazy to do so. And so here I am doing on his behalf, of course without first letting him know. Take it as a suprise, my friend.

When he told me he was big, I wasn’t too convince that he is actually that big until I met him the first time at this year’s Siemens Run 2008. At that time, he weights at about 97KG! Yes, he is really BIG! But that didn’t prevent him in taking up running as most others too. Siemen’s Run 2008 was his first race and he simply just roared through the competition completing it in 00:45:52. Though just barely missing his first medal, he kept his heads up and remained positive. He participated in more running events though Miri isn’t a town with much of it.
.

Chee Kong completing his first race, Siemens Run 2008...

With his work commitments and his busy travelling schedule, he still has a very discipline training regime, which I really have to take my hats off. He has his own training log which I monitor daily and through it, I can see real significant results. One of it is that he is starting to lose weight! However sadly to say, he eats like there is no tomorrow. But I wonder. Is it the food that gives him all the motivation, energy and speed to run? It may be.

He just recently completed in his maiden half marathon race at the Borneo International Marathon 2008 clocking 02:05:47! Another truly amazing result and he finally got his first medal! Next up will be the Penang Bridge Marathon 2008 for him where he will be competing in the slightly longer than half marathon race at 25KM before the big one at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2008 where he will make his marathon debut! And I’ll be there with him for both the events as running and travel mates. Most importantly, I will certainly be itching to know how he will do as I really have high hopes for him. If there is one word to describe him, I would say he's “Amazing”.

Proud of completing his first half marathon at Borneo International Marathon 2008...

Chee Kong, despite knowing he is “big” himself, didn’t bother much about it and most important how people think about him. He remained positive and is working hard for himself and all is paying off. And most importantly, he is showing the rest of us that size doesn’t matter in running! I’m really proud to have met him.

4 comments:

JL said...

i am totally agree with you.. he is really positve and training hard to achieve it.

CapArnabBrand said...

Hope to meet up with you one day dude!!! Till then, keep running!! :)

Riq said...

He is truly an amazing guy...I wonder how did he do it...

Me, weight at 60Kg never have sub 50min for 10KM...sigh...

Anonymous said...

yea..Chee Kong is da man! Very fast runner.

Hope to achieve 10KM within 1 hour 1st =P

More training to do.