Saturday, June 07, 2008

4th Pacemakers Anniversary Run 2008...

Event: 4th Pacemakers Anniversary Run 2008
Venue: Metropolitan Park, Kepong, Kuala Lumpur
Date: 7 June 2008
Time: 7.30am
Distance: 3.3KM per loop X 4 runners (3.35KM by Polar RS800G3 GPS sensor)
Shoe: Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 3
By Frank

A great running event not only consisting of a race, but also a friendship bonding event. That's how I describe the 4th Pacemakers Anniversary Run 2008 (PAR4) which was successfully held on 7 June 2008 at Metropolitan Park, Kepong.


The "X-Mens" of Runnerz Circle...

A relay race covering a distance of 3.3KM per runner which includes 4 runners in each team, it's my first ever team event. My team consists of Ija, Rashid, Andy and myself and our team name is none other than Runnerz Circle, represented by the alphabet X on our bibs. We all came into this event with no pressure at all. Although I know that our team will most likely come in the last pack, or maybe even the last team to complete the relay, I just told my fellow friends to go out and just try their best. No regrets! And being my first relay race, it's also my first time leading a team! Imagine the pressure especially when I'm running the last! A captain's run...

And so, the relay started sharp at 7.30am after a short briefing by Kelvin. Due to safety concerns, the ladies started the relay first which was flagged off my Rohaizad and being led by Yaziz on the motorbike. Ija had the priviliege of starting for our team. I told her no pressure at all. Just do her best and enjoy the run. She started slow as what I have adviced her on, as the first 1.3KM or so consists of up and downhills. And while she ran her part, I did my warming up with the rest and eventually caught up with some other runners from other teams too. At less than 14 minutes, the first runner was back. As I await anxiously for Ija's return, I decided to cheer her on by running with her at the last few hundred meters leading to the transition point. When I saw her, I knew she was really tired. Her hands was already on her waist. But I did not pressure her any. In fact, besides me giving her the motivation, I really have to thank Choi and Daniel from team Vet Vet for cheering for her too. This is what I call a bonding run! As Ija makes her way, Rashid was already waiting for the baton to be passed to him. At 00:20:56 , the baton was passed successfully and off Rashid goes!

Rashid receiving the baton from Ija...

I have faith with Rashid's runs so I did not have to worry a lot. As I had a short chat with Ija who was still catching her breath, I asked Andy to perform his warmup as he will be the next. And so after 00:16:56, Rashid is back. Great run from him! Andy took off, and I waited patiently for my turn. Did all my necessary warmups and stretches before joining in with some of the fourth runners like Anil, Hong, Raymond and Stanley. All 4 of them left before me but luckily Ben, Yee Hua and Chui Miew who had already completed their run earlier was there with me. We were anxiously waiting for Andy's return as we know he has a very funny finishing. We named it "Speedy Gonzalez"! He returned at a time of 00:18:41 and although the baton transition did not go very smoothly, luckily it did not drop.

Off goes Frank after receiving the baton from Andy...

And so, it was my turn to run. As mentioned earlier, it's a captain's run and so I dropped the hammer down and went for it. I knew the start was a mixture of up and downhills but I didn't care. I attacked each hill and quickly enough, I was on the flat already. I began to close in with one runner upon entering the lake area and soon managed to overtake him. As I made my way, I saw yet another runner. It was Chanthiran from team Slowmovers. I decided to take him on and when I saw him slowing down, I took the opportunity to overtake him with 1KM to go. As I did the overtaking, he cheered me on and so did I. With no runners visible ahead of me, I pushed myself all the way to the end clocking 00:14:44, totaling up to 01:11:17 for our team finishing the relay as team 22 out of 28. We did not get last after all! Overall, I'm satisfied with my performance but most importantly, I think the rest of my runners did just as great! Congratulations to them for a strong performance and I do hope they had just as much fun (and suffering) just like I did.

Runnerz in action (Clockwise from top left: Ija, Rashid, Frank and Andy)...

Team Runnerz Circle with their medals presented by Ronnie (in blue)...

As I was part of the volunteer committee and also a sponsor to this event, I had the honour of presenting the medals to some of the teams. But the moment that actually touched me was the presentation of a sponsor's trophy to me. It was my first trophy and I'm very grateful to Ronnie for presenting it to me. It was priceless. Thank you my friend. And also not forgeting William Lee from our group for his time as a volunteer too.

Frank receiving the sponsor's trophy from Ronnie...

Front of the finisher's medal...

Rear of the finisher's medal...

Sponsor's trophy...

The event came to a close at close to 10am with a group photo and everyone after a great morning workout, went home with a smile on their faces. Till PAR5 next year...

Group photo shows the large turnout...

Overall results (For full results, hit the link here)
Team Runnerz Circle (Team 22 out of 28)
X1) 00:20:56 > 00:20:56 - Ija
X2) 00:16:56 > 00:37:52 - Rashid
X3) 00:18:41 > 00:56:33 - Andy
X4) 00:14:44 > 01:11:17 - Frank

We did it! (Volunteers and sponsors of PAR4)...

3 comments:

Kit said...

Wah lau, sub 15 mins. Not too bad! Well done. I read your survivors story. Incredible given your background and history.

You truly are a champion!

Cheers,
Kit

Frank Chong said...

Thanks. I was hoping to be better actually but there was no pressure entering the relay, so I guess I'm satisfied at the end of the day. Will publish that survivor's article on the blog here in a few days time. Was suprised that you actually found it first.

Ara Boy said...

Well done Bro! C u at next race..Have a nice day..