Thursday, April 18, 2013

Devan's 16 Hour's Treadmill Challenge...

I got to know Devan through Jeannie of SimplyGiving.com back in January 2013 when I was contacted to be shared upon his story and upcoming adventure. A role which I accepted pretty instantly as I was inspired with his courage and determination. An adventure that will see him running 16 hours on the treadmill come this Monday, 22 April 2013 all in the name of charity, in his case UNICEF.

The role which I took up will be to guide and advice him through his training progress leading up to run day. What makes things more interesting is that Devan isn't a runner and with just a short time frame of just about 2.5 months, this became a tricky task to tackle not only for me, but Devan himself. After a couple of meet-ups with Devan and sharing of thoughts till the day he got clearance from the doctors, I finally delivered him his "crash course' training program which I will say it's pretty tough. Nevertheless, I told Devan to give it his best shot while not to push himself over the limits should he is not able to meet the required training program. However, he is actually doing pretty well till now. 

Running footwear provided by Saucony Malaysia, nutrition fueled by GU Energy Labs and other gears made possible by Running Lab Malaysia, I certainly hope that Devan will find his strong on the run day cause I know he CAN!


With Devan in the middle and Jeannie from SimplyGiving.com on the right.

Everyone has a story to share. The following is Devan's story and his quest for his upcoming fund raising run for UNICEF.

"I will be attempting to run my personal best on a treadmill on 22 April to raise funds for UNICEF Malaysia. I believe many will wonder why attempt something as crazy as this. Looking back I consider myself very lucky - I have been blessed with a good life, a great family and the best of friends. Four years ago I had a life changing moment. My wife passed away. I was forced to reevaluate my life. I came to realize that invariably I have always chosen the easy route when faced with life's challenges. It is time for me to stand up and be counted. My late wife, a music teacher, had a soft spot for children - it was her wish to help children had she recovered.

Education played an important part in my family. I come from a family of teachers. Providing children with access to quality education is one of UNICEF's priorities. 

More info on UNICEF's education programs in Malaysia and globally can be found here:

http://www.unicef.org/malaysia/gift_backtoschool-unicef_in_education.html

Children have innate way of making the best of a bad situation. I count many times, my nephews and nieces have brought a smile to my face by just doing or saying something. I guess this is also my way of saying thanks.

I am uncertain if this will make a difference though I am hopeful it will. Please join me in showing your support to UNICEF - let's make a difference for children.

The details of this run is as follows:
Date: 22 April 2013 (Monday)
Time: 7.00am - 11.00pm
Venue: Celebrity Fitness, Subang Parade.

Through simplygiving.com you can make safe and secure donations for this good cause towards supporting UNICEF. Using this given platform is really simple and most importantly it's also a really cost efficient way for UNICEF to raise funds."

Therefore, if you are available at the stated above time at anytime in between, do make yourself to Celebrity Fitness, Subang Parade to cheer for Devan or even to run along side with him. Just bring your running gears and run. I will be there running too to assist Devan.

Otherwise, you can simply support Devan by donating to his cause by hitting the following LINK.

* Devan, if you are reading this, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN!

1 comment:

amy said...

Wow, 16 hours? I wonder what Devans results would be if he filled one of these out..

http://www.whatisrightforme.com/treadmill/

It'll show no results.

It'd be nice cheer alongside with him.