Sunday, March 09, 2008

KLIM 2008 Circuit Running 3...

Event: KLIM 2008 Circuit Running 3
Venue: Lake Gardens, Kuala Lumpur
Date: 9 March 2008
Time: 7.15am
Distance: 2.8KM per loop (to complete as many loops in 03:30:00)
Shoe: adidas Supernova Cushion 6
By Frank

I took a big risk by turning up for this event this morning. My left chest was actually hurting yesterday. Yes, it's the heart. It felt that something is nailing it and it's going to burst anytime. I never felt this pain before and being a runner, I am confident that my heart is healthy. I was in fact hesistating to actually run this morning. But at the end, I decided to give it a go.

I took a slow and steady pace as I didn't know what's happening inside my heart. I didn't have my heart rate monitor with me as I have sold it off and currently waiting for the new model I ordered to arrive. Besides, I didn't regard this as race. In fact, it's more like a training. Turnout was pretty good and at 7.15am, we were let off. My shoes were very comfortable but at certain places which was wet, it was really slippery especially the downhill section near Carcosa.

I completed my first loop at around 17 minutes, just slightly off pace. It was a comfortable pace and I told myself to go with it. Things started to change only at loop 6 when I took the GU Energy Gel. It boosted me physically and I up my pace a little. I was lucky at this point that my heart is still all right as I have not stop yet. But, a new problem arised. The weather! As it rained yesterday evening, there were minimal clouds. The sun shone straight through. I felt that I was being barbequed! Everytime I passed the refreshment station, I wet myself with a cup of water.
.

Suffering from a diffrent angle...

Then at loop 8, I suddenly felt the pain again. Slowed down to a fast walk pace to ease the pain and lucky enough, it went away. Didn't want to push my luck too much, I slowed my pace down. As I completed loop 10, I checked my time with the time keeper. I heard he said 03:14:00, which was 16 minutes more to the end. I might not have enough time to complete another loop with that remaining time so I decided to call it a day, successfully completing 10 loops equivelant to 28KM in 03:00:15. Yes, I know. It's not a typing error. 03:00:15 is in fact the actual time. Sigh... I could have completed another loop but it was already too late as I only found out 5 minutes later and has already downed 250ML of water and 2 cups of Milo. Nevertheless, I was very happy with my results as if this was a race, I would have achieve a Personal Record already. In fact, I was very suprised I can actually achieve this time with my pace. I guess my training, persistent and motivation I received has been a key factor.

After a tough run, we still manage to smile...

Call me stupid or daring to actually participate in this event despite my condition. To those reading this, please do not follow my footsteps. My advice is, "Listen" to your body well.

No comments: