Sunday, September 09, 2007

Mizuno Wave Run 2007...

Event: Mizuno Wave Run 2007
Venue: Padang Merbuk, Kuala Lumpur
Date: 9 September 2007
Time: 7.30am
Distance: 10KM
Shoe: adidas Supernova Cushion 6
By Frank

The Mizuno Wave Run 2007 organised by Pacesetters Athletic Club Malaysia with title sponsors Mizuno was successfully held with minimal glitches. Representing Runnerz was R1 Frank, R2 Andy and new recruit R7 Robert. R4 Ija who registered but couldn't take part due to health issues was there too to support. We need more people like her! The run which took runners into greens of Bukit Tungku was certainly a run for all ages. It was easy on our lungs as oxygen from the greens was all over the route. The only tough part was the double uphill!

The reporting station was improved over the New Balance Pacesetters 15KM run as there were more this time and the person in-charge is no longer hiding behind the trees. Hehe... And the usual Pacesetters way, runners were seperated into segments at the starting line based on the estimated finishing time. We took the second segment which was above 45 minutes. This was an effective way to prevent slower runners blocking the faster runners.

The run started at 7.30am. The first 500M was flat but soon later came the first hill climb. It wasn't a very steep uphill and most runners are still fresh. As runners entered Bukit Tungku, we were greeted by the morning fresh air which went so well with our lungs. Reaching the 4KM mark, a lady runner fell a few steps away from me. I could hear the sliding sound as she fell. I stop and wanted to help her but friendly runners around too help her up. I continued my run after seeing her back on her legs running. Salute to her for continuing the run despite bleeding from the knees. Next came the refreshment station. Took my PowerBar Gel here and took 3 cups of water. There was a slight hiccup at the refreshement station though. Cups were there but wasn't fill up with water. And there wasn't enough people to hand it out to the runners. This slowed me down as I waited for water. Next got ready for the steep uphill climb. A left turn after the refreshment station will test the strength and mentality of each runners. The way up is long and steep! To make things worst, after descending from it, came yet another uphill. I never stop running and just carried on although a little off pace.

As we exited Bukit Tungku, we made our way to National Monument area. There were less trees here but the air quality was still pretty acceptable. And as we entered Persiaran Sultan Salahuddin, we were greeted by the third and last uphill climb. It was a short one but most of the runners were already tired. I was still OK, so I went for it. And as I reached the National Monument entrance, I knew the end was near. I up my pace and began to empty my tank. And when I saw the last 500M marker, this was where my final boost came in. As I reached the finish line, I was shocked to see a long queue. The organisers were a little slow taking the runners number down. And while I was not paying attention, an uncle jump queue. He took 1 place of me! I was suppose to be 381, but ended up 382. :( But I didn't sound him as the run wasn't about me outrunning others. So at the end, I clock 00:59:30. Luckily I didn't go beyond 60 minutes if not I will have bang my head on the wall.

Robert proud of his achievement...

Frank with his "pancit" look...

Andy posing with his prize...

Runnerz with their medals...

The finisher's medal...

Overall results:
00:55:00 - #A724 - Robert (296th) (estimated time cause no stopwatch)
00:59:30 - #A057 - Frank (382nd)
01:13:00 - #A058 - Andy (888th) (estimated time cause forgot to stop stopwatch)

7 comments:

Urban Smoothie Read said...

seems like d medal this time looks d same like d last year 1...

PACM ppl lazy 2 design new ones??

Anonymous said...

hey frank & andy,
congrats! i was looking for you guys yesterday after the run. don't see rashid to - he did not participate huh?

cheers!
rizal
runnermalaysia

Frank Chong said...

Pacco: Yeah. I agree the medal looks plain, but hey... It's only a bonus to me.

Rizal: Rashid did not participate due to financial problems I think. I stayed till the end of the event actually and most of the time was at the PACM booth.

Urban Smoothie Read said...

now i don't hv any dog events till next yr....but seems like not many runs are available now....

timing not good la

Frank Chong said...

Pacco: There might be less running events from now on till December 2007, but you can always join us for our training workshop which I soon going to announce the date, time and venue. :)

Urban Smoothie Read said...

thanks 4 inviting...

but u know la....i run not for passion....

i run 2 get sourvenier onli nia

Frank Chong said...

Pacco: Will try to brain wash you then. Hahaha... Think this way then. In order to get souveneirs, etc... you need to run faster. So in order to do that, you need to train for it. And also not forgetting you need knowledge cause that is power! :)