Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Training The Human Way...

By Frank

It has been 2 weeks since my return from my rest period and to the start of my training for the Nike+ Human Race 10K. Everything is running smoothly and I certainly have positive reviews on myself.

The recent half marathon I ran on Sunday showed that my fitness level isn’t too much affected. I’m still hanging on pretty well. In fact, the rest period has allowed my body to recover from all the hectic runs I had during the earlier part of the year. It allows any minor tears in the muscles to be repaired and also new tissues to be regenerated hence a stronger and fitter body. Therefore, it is very true when people say that resting is also part of training!

I have always done my weekdays runs during the evening in between 4.30pm to 5.00pm. It sure is hot but certainly will help in my preparation for the Nike+ Human Race 10K which will start off at 4.30pm. However, I’m pushing myself just a bit more by starting off with a bit of resistance training at 3.30pm and then my run at 4.00pm around my neighbourhood with no shades at all! Apply some sunscreen lotion over my expose skin and not forgetting placing a water bottle filled with diluted isotonic drink just outside my house first to serve as my refreshment station as it’s very dry lately, and away I go for my run. Some of my neighbours must be thinking what is this crazy fellow thinking, running under the hot sun. Haha… I tend not to think too much of the weather and also what others are thinking as I believe through persistence and this, my race at Singapore will prove to be much easier.

Do not run under the hot sun without it...

Ready to hit the roads with the Vomero+ 3...

As my weekends are now filled with races till 31 August 2008, I will run those races as part of my trainings. I will then start my week off by a short 5KM recovery run on Monday before a 10KM tempo run on Tuesday and Thursday. On Wednesday, I will run a 5KM but at a much faster pace. I finish off each of my runs with a slow jog followed by static stretches. Sounds pretty simple but trust me it's not, especially when running alone. Finally, a slow walk with my dog around the neighbourhood again. Yes, a cool down with a household pet especially the dog will certainly help. I agree when people says that dogs actually helps the person to calm their nerves down due to their temperament. Besides, dogs need their exercise too!

Meet Snow, my Golden Retriever and aslo my training partner...

Now, to share a little on the Nike LunarTrainer+. It’s been a week since I first received it and I’ve handed it, its first maiden race on the past Sunday’s half marathon. The shoe is just amazing, truly a revolution over other shoes. Though categorised as a trainer, its light weight has certainly put it on par with some of the racers out there. No wonder Runner’s World categorised it as a performance training shoe. The cushioning is soft although not as soft as the Vomero+ 3 is certainly my feet’s beloved ride now. Myself together with Jamie wore it for the half marathon and yet we felt very minimal pain or sore the next day. Truly Nike has been true to their saying of “Your legs will last longer”, a phrase used for both their LunarTrainer+ and LunaRacer+. I will be alternating between the LunarTrainer+ and the Vomero+ 3 for my trainings before finally using the LunarTrainer+ for the big day at the big race.

1 comment:

RunWitMe said...

Cute running partner you got there...:)