Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 3: Larian Bersama Bomba 2008...

Event: Larian Bersama Bomba 2008
Venue: Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur
Date: 10 May 2008
Time: 7.30am
Distance: 10KM (10.93KM by Choi's Garmin Forerunner 205)
Shoe: adidas Response Control 7
By Frank

I missed last year's Larian Bersama Bomba due to a boil I suffered. So it will be first time participating in this run. Although I'm very optimistic about this run as I had been improving positively, I just got the feeling that I miss the medals by a few placing. The medals offered for this run was for the top 75 runners. And to get it, I must complete it within 53 minutes based on last year's results. To find out if I managed to get myself a medal, read on...

It's Day 3 now since I received the adidas Response Control 7 from the adidas shoe seeding program. Having tested it on Day 1, I guess it's time I put it to race test. I arrived at Dataran Merdeka at 6.45am and to my suprise, the place was already packed with runners. The usual parking spot where I park my car has already been taken. Got no choice but to park at the basement car park which costs me RM4! Met up with Ronnie who arrived at 5.30am. So early! As I did my warmup and stretching, the gang arrived. Adam, Chen, Choi, Hong, Lai FS, Ryan, Saiful and Geraldine all came except for Kenny who was late. He overslept. Haha... And so after all of us were done with our warmups, we proceeded to the starting area after having our group photo taken. I entered the staring area with Choi and we chatted a for a while, while waiting for the even to be started. This loosen me up a little. Kenny then arrived just in time. Ben who is running too saw me and called me. We both wish each other the best out of this run.

Group photo before the run...

And so at 7.30am, runners were let off. I had trouble getting a good start as I was blocked by slower runners. Adam and Kenny started cleanly and I told myself not to loose them. I tried get myself an empty running space in front of the slower runners and I managed to do so with Choi just right behind me. I was running at a comfortable pace of 6:00/KM. Didn't want to start off to fast after what happened at the recent Olympic Torch Relay Fun Run. After the short hill climb after JKR, I began my race pace. As I entered the Kenny Hill area, I started overtaking runners around. My pace was averaging around 5:10/KM here and I felt floating on air. This made stride bigger than usual. All thanks to plyometrics. I managed to overtake Chen, Lai FS, Ryan and Tay Poh Chye here. I really felt good and strong here, and hope this will go on. But I know it's going to be tough at the front once I enter the Duta Highway. At around the 4KM mark, I overtook a Malay runner but he managed to pace by my side. I didn't mind as this helps each of us and he doesn't pose any problems for me. At the 5KM mark, I began to free myself from him as I approach the refreshment station. To my disappointment, only plain water was served. There was no isotonic drinks.

After the refreshement station is where the real challenge began. As I entered the Duta Highway, Chen overtook me back. I know I will struggle at this part due to the vehicle fumes plus the hill climb. I'm still able to see Kenny which I did from the start but now he is already like 20 seconds in front of me. I didn't want to lose him so I tried to maintain my pace but I know I'm starting to slow down. As I approach the Indian Embassy, I suddenly heard loud running foot steps from behind. At first I thought it was Lai FS. It gave me some pressure but a good one as I increase my pace back again. But in the end, that runner managed to overtake me and he was Tay Poh Chye. Haha... Soon later, Choi overtook me too. I guess I'm slowing down a lot already. But then, Yaziz came into my picture with 2KM to go. He gave me some encouragement and we managed to pace each other for a while before I broke away from him at the last climb at the Jalan Parlimen flyover. After the climb, I can feel that fatigue is taking over me. I tried to push, keeping Choi and Tay Poh Chye in my sight. As I arrived at the Bank Negara roundabout, Yaziz overtook me. I guess he really wanted to win me this time after what happened at the recent Bidor Half Marathon. Hehe... As I made my way to the finish line which was in the middle of the field, all I can hope for is the best as I had already did my part. I crossed the finish line at 00:52:52 and I was thinking whether do I stand a chance to get a medal. As I queue to receive the certificate, I asked a Malay runner who was 2 places in front of me on his position. He showed me his position card which was 75 and with that, disappointment took over me. Sigh... I missed the medal by 2 positions!

After the run, tired but yet still smiling...

Though I didn't manage to get a medal, I was extremely happy that today's timing was my best for a 10KM race. And hey, this race was 10.93KM as recorded by Choi's GPS sensor. That made me even happier. To me, medal isn't everything. As I long I did my best, and the results shows, that's all that I can ask for.

The certificate of participation...

So how did the adidas Response Control 7 performed? It was very comfortable. The light weight helped a lot especially during the closing stages of the run. And even without geoFiT, my ankle was well protected especially when I took the corners. But as the shoe was still very new, I suffered a slight blister on the bottom of my right feet, but not serious. I guess I have to run in the shoe a bit more. The unsteady heel which I complained 2 days back seems to have disappear. Not sure of the reason behind it, but I gues could be the terrain of the route. So overall, I can now certify this shoe suitable for a 10KM race. Well at least for me.

But that's not the end for today. I will still have a midnight simulation run for the upcoming Sundown Marathon at Putrajaya later at midnight. And not forgetting the World Asthma Day Jogathon tomorrow morning. It's going to be tiring but I just take it as a training at the next 2 runs. And besides, it's going to be fun with all the familiar faces around for the midnight run. So, I'm signing off here for now as I need my rest.


fook said...

next year pia again :) don feel bad

Runnerz said...

One year to wait is a long time. Hopefully got a a chance to better my time if the Siemens Run is confirm.