Sunday, September 05, 2010

Breaking The 4 Digit Barrier...

By Frank

WOOOHOOO... I finally broke the 1000KM running mileage today. Nothing to shout about but I was happy to actually overcome this barrier as my running mileage has been super low this year. Last year at this month, I would probably be at 1700KM already. But anyway, this isn't the highlight of it but rather the Newton 25KM trial run I had earlier this morning.

Having tried out this route for 3 times, my fourth will probably be the last one as most will be hiting the trails next week onwards in preparation for our trail ultra marathon at The North Face Endurance. I also put on the hydration backpack I borrowed from Luc today. My first time with backpack as I just had to test it so I fill it up the entire 2 liters. First impression wasn't good as the fit was weird. Back to the run, Raymond suggested to advertise the run in Facebook which I did and the outcome was amazing. 16 turned up! Familiar faces were Jamie, Poh Seng, Raymond, Yim, Kel Vin, John, Chin Chin, Michelle, Yann Kai, Karen, Alexis and some others. We started well, together in a group and all were chatting among their friends.

The amazing turnout...

By the time we hit 5KM, the group started to break and I took up the responsibility as a "sweeper". Didn't want Alexis and Calvin to get lost as it was their first time here. By the time the 3 of us hit the first u-turn, the front pack was about a kilometer ahead. Slowly, they disappeared into the distance.

Alexis broke away at about 8KM and I slowed down to guide Calvin to the u-turn point as he is running just 12KM. Then I sped up and caught up with Alexis and Kel Vin where we ran together. Tried to take a sip from my backpack here and I couldn't. Liquid just won't come out from the nozzle no matter how I bit or suck it. Luckily I still had reserve in my storage and I had time to rectify it. At the front, Kel Vin sped off and ended up running the wrong and tougher way. Knowing where he will appear, I waited for him at the junction before resuming together.

On the way to the first roundabout at about 14KM, we spotted Michelle making her way back alone. Further up was John and a few others. Kind of dangerous for Michelle to be running her own, but I can't leave Alexis and Kel Vin behind. I had to choose. So I continued on with the 2 and reached the u-turn point before bumping into Kei Ming, Henry and Kim Kok who started from another area. Oh, I also managed to squeeze liquid out of my backpack finally. AHHH... WATER!

Taken from the 20KM mark. We actually conquered the opposite climb earlier...

Yeap... We are on the run indeed...

At the 20KM mark, I stopped to wait for Raymond who caught up and was refueling. Alexis didn't stop and went on her own. When we both resume running, we spotted the dark rain clouds and could see that it was already pouring at the distance. Hasten up, hopefully to beat the rain but it came pouring down shortly. And my legs were already starting to lock up. I tried to pace Raymond but he was too fast for me. At the last 3KM or so, I had to stop a few times to adjust my legs while to ensure Alexis was running the right way.

And finally, I saw the finish site with Yann Kai closing behind. She with the other front runners did 30KM! As for myself, I completed the 25KM run in just over 3 hours. Felt tired but there was a sense of achievement and satisfaction here. Hung around for a moment enjoying droplets of rain and stretching ourselves out before some went home while other remain for a long breakfast and get together session. All in all, a very productive run indeed and I hope this will be the first of many to come.

Oh and yeah, back to the 4 digits. It was 1015KM. Hahaha...

2 comments:

Yimster said...

Kong hei breaking the 1k mileage! Here's to many thousands more to come. Had a great run and thanks again for organizing the run event and ensuring everyone is accounted for. Cinya good heart!

Jamie said...

Congrats nw for the next 1000K!!