Thursday, November 19, 2009

Number 8...

By Frank


2 down, 1 to go. That's the number of races remaining before I give it my all at Macau. Come this Sunday will be my third run at the Penang Bridge. The first was a half marathon organised under the highway authorities in year 2007 while the second which was last year was organised by the Penang state government. And my current marathon personal best was achieved at last year's edition. This year, I will be returning to run the full marathon once again, and it will be mark as my 8th marathon in my running career.

The marathon will take runners on a new route this year although most of the scenery and areas that runners are going to pass are pretty similar. Lots of feedback were taken and studied in the organiser's Facebook site, so we runners are hoping that this will be the best ever if not a major improvement for the Penang Bridge International Marathon. The past few years were just not up to par. A new start time of 2.30am for full marathoners and with an hour to spare before the half marathoners kick start their run, let's hope that there won't be any "human wall" problem. Not to mention hydration issues during the run.

The full marathon route...

I received the race pack via courier last week. Opt for the service with a RM10 service charge as I didn't want to rush over to the collection center for I fear a long wait for it. Will say that the contents of the race pack was just all right. And although the vest, a first for this race is really nice and of an acceptable quality, the size was just on the smaller side which left many runners frustrated. It fits me, but however I wish it was a little longer in length.

Contents of the race pack...

Will be leaving on Saturday, a day before the race on board the Firefly with my travel and training mates of Choi and Loke. This is my first ever time taking a flight to Penang. Haha... Will be putting up with both of them at Krystal Suites once again. Chee Kong who is suppose to join us pulled out the last minute as he bought the wrong flight tickets and also due to work commitments. Sigh... But anyway, lots of friend will be there too like Chin Ann, Lionel, Pueh Tian and many more. And therefore, looking forward to some good food together.

As for my target this year, which most of my friends are asking, I'm just targeting an injury free run. No time target nor will I be trying anything new. I'm taking this as my last long run before Macau Marathon 2009 which takes place 2 weeks after this race. Will save everything up for something bigger and hope I won't suffer or deplete too much of my energy here. Most important is to have a quality long run coupled with fun with my friends. So see you at Penang this weekend!

5 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

taking it as a long run will aloow you to enjoy all the food! good luck!

Henry Wong said...

All the best to you Frank.

Raymond said...

enjoy Penang Bridge run Frank! Save the best for the last :)

YS said...

Wish you an injury-free race!

Frank Chong said...

Jamie: It's not the end yet. Will indulge carefully though first stop will be "toilet" restaurant at Queensbay Mall. Hahaha...

Henry: Thanks. See you there.

Ray: Yeah... One more to go before my "biggest" marathon to date. can't wait for it.

YS: Thanks.