Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's Racing Time...

By Frank

The title says it all. It's time to race! In about 57 hours time (at time of writing this), it will be the start of my race season again after a training regime that have lasted about 3 months. Technically speaking, I'm still in training mode as I won't be hitting it hard till the Macau Marathon 2009.

My recent feat which broke all personal boundaries is to have completed a slightly more than 300KM run in 19 days which actually ended today. I initially wanted to do it in 21 days, but to complete it ahead of time is really something I'm proud of. Not only I broken a personal record of mine, I also "broke" my shoe (my first Nike LunarGlide+ tore), broke" 2 pairs of socks and also "broke" my wallet (from buying food and drink to refuel). But I'm glad my legs survived. Phew...

This Saturday, I will be racing in the second edition of the Nike+ Human Race 10K at Singapore. Will be travelling this Friday to Lion City with Choi who will be participating in The North Face Challenge in the 100KM Duo category in which he will be require to run a 50KM distance on a mixture of tarmac and trail. I'm sure he will do well and earn the title ultra marathoner after putting so much effort in his training lately. I will be there after completing my race to support him and also to my other friends like Keat Seong, Jennifer, Michelle and Siok Bee who are running too.

Though I'm taking the Nike+ Human Race 10K 2009 as part of my training regime and also to test out my pace, I would really like to break my current 10KM personal best, which I set at last year's edition. However, as there will be a huge number of runners and without a VIP pass to allow me to start from the front row like last year, I doubt I can do so. But I do hope the new route which starts and finish at the Singapore F1 pit stop will help.

With 2 weeks of rest after the above mentioned 10KM race, it will be my debut in the dualthon scene. Will be participating in the Powerman 2009 long distance category which will involve a 11KM run, 64KM bike and 10KM run. Although just participating to soak up some experience and fun, I believe it's going to be a tough and gruelling race. Hope everything will end well without any injuries.

And 2 weeks later again, it will be my last long run before hitting it real hard at Macau. It will be the Penang Bridge International Marathon 2009 and I will be running the full marathon distance. I will have to tackle this race carefully and timing isn't something I'm aiming for. Just hope that this will be a great race after hearing the organisers put in so much effort.

And finally on 6 December 2009, it will be the one - Macau Marathon 2009. As from above, it's all a 2 weeks rest period in between the races. Hope it will be sufficient. The second and third race will be critical in not getting myself stress out or injured. How will I fare? Let me take a race at a time and start with the Nike+ Human Race 10K 2009. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

Have a great series of races to close off the year!

caffeinetizen said...

All the best frank and have a blast in singapore tomolo and macau at the end of the year.