Thursday, May 28, 2009

Frank Boleh...

By Frank

As promised, here's 1 last entry before I leave for Singapore to participate in the Sundown Marathon 2009. As the race is just slightly 2 days away from now, emotions are high. I can't explain what is going through my mind now. Of all my 6 marathons done over my past 2 years, Sundown Marathon remains the toughest and this time, I'm doing double the distance. Hence, I don't deny that I'm nervous, but 1 thing for sure is that I'm not afraid at all. Yes, it's 84KM. But do not fear the distance. Respect it and it will all be over soon. It's easier said that done, but this is 1 thing I will have to keep reminding myself.

Looking back at this entry's title, the word "Boleh" is of Malay language and literally means "Can". Therefore, the whole phrase makes up my tag line for this race as "Frank Can Do It". It was given to me by a friend since the day of registration and it's through this simple phrase that has motivated me, making me believe that I can actually conquer this distance. And though I only managed an unimpressive distance of 900.13KM throughout the course of my training, there is no point looking back now. Life is just full of unpredictable moments, so we just have to suck it up.

As mentioned before, I have set no timing target for this one. I'm just aiming to complete it and if possible, in the fastest time possible as I do not want to suffer too much. Therefore, I'm running and setting my own pace. Something comfortable myself will do and will not follow others. Besides, though I know that my migraine has come under control, I'm not risking anything that might trigger off any attack. And I will certainly be looking forward in meeting my friends at the finish line. That will be a motivating factor.

The Sundown Marathon 2009 race route. 84KM is running twice the loop...

The past few days has been a very emotional one. Met up with lots of my friends whether runners or not, and they have given me their full support. I even met up with Kannan Murugasan, Malaysia's first and only Ultraman at the Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon 2009 roadshow at 1 Utama over the past weekend. His super tough Ultraman adventure had took him on a 10KM swim, 419KM cycling and 84KM run in Canada in the year 2007. Talking to him made me realise that what I am going to go through this weekend is nothing compared to his. And not forgetting wishes from my friends over at Australia and Canada too. All these gives me even greater determination to complete this race.

With Ultraman Kannan...

Unlike the previous year where I travelled with 6 of my running friends, I will only be travelling with Victor this year, taking again the First Coach bus from the Bangsar stop tomorrow morning. Will then meet up with the rest of my friends like Alex, Cheang, Foo, Lawrence, Luc, Mohan, Sam, Terence, Tey ET, Chin Chin, Chiu Miew, Lynn and Seow Ping at Singapore. WOW! Listing them out, I realised that there is actually a lot of us!

With this entry, I'm signing off from my "Road To 84" as I will experience the real thing in 2 days time. To all certified and soon to be marathoners and ultra-marathoners running the Sundown Marathon 2009, see you all at starting line at Changi Village, 7pm, and most important at the finish line too. To those travelling to Singapore to lend their support, thank you for your time. Finally but not least, to everyone who has played a part in my first ever ultra-marathon adventure, thank you with all my heart. Till then, adious...

4 comments:

Henry Wong said...

Frank Boleh for sure, and I look forward to reading your success story on your return.

Best wishes from Henry in Tallinn

fook said...

all the best!

Raymond said...

good luck! Am sure u will survive the battle! It takes lotsa of courage for one to tackle the 84km and i salute u for that!

Frank Chong said...

Henry: Wishes from yet another part of the world! Thanks.

fook: Thanks and I'm sure the dumpling will help. Hehe...

Raymond: Just hope my courage in signing up will be a wise one. Thanks for your wishes.