Thursday, March 27, 2008

Approach To KL International Marathon 2008...

By Frank

Got my race kit this morning. As usual, it's full of hiccups. Actually, it's even worst than last year. There's no paper bag for us to store our race kit. Everything came loosely. First I got my bib, then programme schedule, then vouchers then finally the ChampionChip. Why can't they get everything ready the day before? It's an international event but the standard is just so below par. Sigh... Anyway, I met Krishnan from adidas Malaysia there. I spent a short quality time with him studying some of the 2008 upcoming running shoes. The shoes are now so colourful and striking!
.

A view of the race kit collection centre. Not so "international" feel...

The simple yet hectic full and half marathon race kit collection area...

adidas 2008 running shoes. Wicked...

adidas 2008 running attire. Nice...

My race kit...

So, how did I prepare myself for this third marathon attempt of mine. After a miserable run at the Great Eastern Pacesetters 30KM 2008, I double the intensity of my training hoping to improve myself in time for the KL International Marathon. I’ve joined Der Pacemakers lead by Ronnie in his gruesome training beginning at the end of January. The usual people that attended the training from Tuesday till Thursday are the regular Geraldine, Lai, Kit and Kenny although sometimes we are joined by others.

Normal training is held at Lake Gardens. On Tuesday and Thursday. It’s a normal run around the lake. At 2.8KM per loop, we usually do at about 3 to 4 loops. It was challenging as it’s a mixture of flats, up and down hills which will be beneficial for upcoming events. On Wednesday, it was speed works. It was usually done at the 270M distance with a gradient estimating at 4% value. However, there were times when we changed to a shorter 200M flat distance or a more challenging 6% gradient. Training with these people is really tough but as time passes, I am now a better runner thanks to their guidance and motivation.

During the weekends especially on Saturday’s, I’ll do my long runs, also known as LSD (Long Slow Distance). It’s about the distance of 20KM or even 30KM on my feel good days. The usual runners are with Geraldine, Jamie, Loke and Choi although Andy and David do sometimes join in too but for a shorter distance. Not to mention the 2 circuit runs organized by AmBank. I regarded it more like my LSD training rather than a race.

I believe a runner has to train overall rather than just sticking on running, although running is still the main thing. Therefore, I still do resistance and weight training though on Sundays. Besides that, core and rehab exercises are also on my regular training schedule.

There was a setback though on the first week of March. Out of the blue, I suddenly felt a discomfort on the left side of my chest. Yes, it’s my heart! Took a couple of days off training after running the third circuit run with it. Lucky enough, the pain went away in 4 days time although. I did not visit the doctor though.

And as off 12 days ago, I have started my tapering phase. With the big day just 3 days away, I guess I can say that I’m both physically and mentally prepared to battle myself, my heart and the route. My target this time will be to shave time off my personal record set at Singapore last year, and to dip below 5 hours will be a bonus. Although it’s tough as the course is more demanding, I believe it can be done. Therefore, it’s time for a “revisit” to KL International Marathon, this time the year 2008 edition.

5 comments:

RunWitMe said...

Good luck! Enjoy the run.

Meng Wai said...

All the best this sunday in your 3rd full. I will be doing my 2nd. See you there.

Anonymous said...

All the best to the participants! I will be with you in spirit. I may see spirits too at Cheng Meng.. *2 thumbs up*

Jamie Pang said...

All der best!

C-CUBE said...

good luck and may der force be with U