Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 2: The Star's Debut...

By Frank

After walking around the house in the adidas adistar Cushion 6 for half a day, it's finally time to introduce it to the road surface. I have intended to do a 10KM run with it initially, but the weather just like yesterday wasn't kind enough. It started showing signs of pouring after I ran about 5KM. So I guess calling it a day after a 5KM run in a new pair of shoe will be reasonably good enough.

So, how did the shoe fair? First feeling after slipping both my feet into the shoe is, it is wide! My toes were comfortable with enough moving space in it. And the second feeling is that the material is so soft and I felt no poking and stuff that usually comes from a new shoe! I guess it's thanks to the noseam architecture. And as I ran with it, I felt the cushioning was excellent thanks to the thick and shock absorbent sole. Toe-off was good too as there wasn't any discomfort with my metatarsals. I think adidas did a great job by putting together the adiPRENE and adiPRENE + combining with the width of the shoe. The FORMOTION system works very well too and I didn't experience any discomfort with my heel nor arch. Plenty of outsole on the shoe for me to land on the road surface without any of my feet twitching from side to side. My ligaments and tendons will be grateful!

A look on the comfortable inner section...

The outsoles...

Notice the thickness of the sole at the heel area...

However, as good as anything else, it isn't perfect. Some downsides I've noticed, as mentioned yesterday is the weight of the shoe. Being a feature and technology rich shoe, it is pretty heavy. Although I just ran 5KM with it, I felt that my legs are actually being dragged back by the weight of the shoe. Imagine if quickstrike wasn't implemented, the shoe will be even heavier! Next, the tongue of the shoe kept sliding to the side. I never experience this with other adidas shoe. Not sure the reason why but it can be quite irritating with a piece of the tongue at one side of the feet. And finally, I found that the geoFiT isn't as "hugging" as it should be. I felt better in my adidas Supernova Cushion 6. I'm not sure of the reason but I guess it might be due to the shoe size as both are of different size. But still, this is very subjective.

Although I have a few positive and negative views on the shoe right now, I guess it is still too early to tell. It is after all just my first run with it. Never know how will it perform once it is "season". Now that leaves me with something to think about. Should I scale the KL Tower in this weekend's Towerthon Challenge in this shoe?

3 comments:

yipwt said...

hi frank,

you are right...it's heavy. I got some abrasion on my left foot after 20km.

I don't think I want to run in it again.

If it's lighter...that'll be great.

Frank Chong said...

Steven, sad to hear that. Actually, despite the weight, the shoe is actually pretty ok for me, at least for now. I have yet to try long distance with it yet thanks to the weather. But anyway, hope you do give the shoe a few more tries. You never know how will it perform once it is "seasoned".

yipwt said...

well...seasoned is when i think the soles has run out..then it would be lighter..haha...